When I first learned about WaterAid, a nonprofit that helps give access to safe water and sanitation to the world’s poorest people, I was reminded of the quote “Water water everywhere but not a drop to drink”. Out planet is approximately 70% water, yet so many people don’t have access to clean drinking water.
Most of the world takes water for granted. If we don’t like our tap water we buy bottled water. We have water for our sanitation systems to run properly. The only time that I can remember worrying about water is after major storms, and even then it has never been a real problem.
The lack of safe water is especially difficult on children, women, the elderly and the disabled. Lack of safe water and sanitation leads to disease which hinders children from getting an education and adults for earning money.
What Does WaterAid do:
- They provide communities with safe water supplies and sanitation and hygiene education
- They use technologies that are easy for communities to maintain
- They involve the communities in every step
- They partner with local organizations to help meet local needs
What can you do to help:
- Learn – Visit the Learn Zone tab on the WaterAid website to learn more about water. There are classroom sheets, videos, games and more. Get the entire family or your class involved. Follow WaterAid on Facebook and Twitter and sign up for their newsletter to stay up to date.
- Get Involved – Find information on community fundraising, corporate support, personal fundraising, social networking sites and volunteering.
Thanks to my involvement with the Global Team of 200 (A highly specialized group of Mom Bloggers for Social Good members who focus on maternal health, children, hunger, and women and girls) I receive information on causes like this to share. Please check out other posts from the Global Team of 200 on this and other issues.