Technology has changed many areas of life, and watching movies is one of them. Where, when and how we see movies has completely changed since my childhood.
- Go to the theater to see new movies (of which there were never many because the multiplex did not yet exist), or
- Watch movies on the few television channels that existed. These movies were at least a few years old and had commercials.
- Subscribing to cable and adding on movie channels such as HBO and Showtime. However, this still didn’t give you the ability to choose when or where you could watch a particular movie.
- Going to the video store, hoping that the movie you want is available, then going back to return it.
- Netflix arrived and we could have movies mailed to us. Of course the popular movies would often have long waiting times.
- Streaming arrived both legally through Netflix and illegally online. Netflix streaming movies, while very convenient, does not include many new movies.
- Sites like Amazon Instant Video and iTunes stream movies, however they can only be watched on your computer or mobile device. To watch on a large screen, you must have a connection to your TV.