There are so many songs that bring back memories for me. Most bring back memories of where I was, what I was doing or friends that I was with. But other than summer, there are not many that specifically bring back a memory of a season. Here are 10 summer songs from my teens and twenties that remind me of summers past.
1. 1971 Maggie May (Rod Stewart) – Maggie May was the most played song on the radio that summer. (Radio was the only way to listen to music when you were out). I still associate Maggie May with sunburns.
2. 1972 Saturday in the Park (Chicago) – My family went on one of our many trips to the Catskills that summer and this song reminds me of that trip.
3. 1973 Kodachrome (Paul Simon) – I remember going to a friend’s house with a group of people on the last day of school and this song came on and it all seemed so perfect.
4. 1973 Ramblin’ Man (Allman Brothers) – Heard this song everywhere because the Allman Brothers were both Country Rock or Hard Rock but this song crossed into Pop, so you couldn’t escape it. Luckily I loved the song so I didn’t want to.
5. 1976 Don’t Go Breaking My Heart (Elton John, Kiki Dee) – Here is a song that I never loved, but I did like at first. But by the end of the summer of 76 I had enough. It is listed because it brings back such memories of being on the beach and at bars that summer (drinking age was 18) that it might bring more memories than others, but it is not a song I play anymore.
6. 7. 8. Early 80s Don’t You Want me (The Human League), Our Lips are Sealed and Vacation (The Go-Go’s) – I put these together because these songs were very big during the summers when I was a single young adult, living in NYC, going to the Hampton’s and Fire Island occasionally, during the summer. These were some of the most popular songs playing and my favorites.
9. 1985 Centerfield (John Fogerty) – This wonderful song about baseball came out right around the time that the NY Mets started to thrive and I became a fan again. 1985 and then, the best Mets year ever, 1986,were the two years I enjoyed baseball the most. And Centerfield was often playing in the background.
10. 1986 Glory of Love (Peter Cetera) – The summer my first child was born. This was the most played song that summer. Need I say more.
You can now listen to any or all of these 10 summer songs in my Spotify playlist below:
What are your favorite summer songs. Which summer songs bring back memories for you?
If you enjoyed this, please sign up to receive regular updates: