Do you remember the first decade of MTV? If so, you are probably nostalgic for it. If not, you might be interested in learning what it was all about. I Want My MTV: The Uncensored Story of the Music Video Revolution chronicles it all, from the first video to the reasons for switching away from airing music videos.
Before MTV, believe it or not, teenagers were barely on the radar of marketers and advertisers back in 1981. Nobody thought that a music video channel, with an audience based mostly of teens, would succeed. Who would want to advertise on it? Since MTV, teens have become the most coveted demographic for movies, music, and most pop culture and technology products.
- The hiring of the first VJs (video jockeys)
- How Michael Jackson and Thriller launched MTV and music videos into the stratosphere
- Madonna, Springsteen, Prince – some of the other top MTV stars during the early/mid 80s.
- Charity music videos become the big thing – We Are the World, Do They Know its Christmas and Live Aid
- The first Music Video Awards
- Rap invades MTV
- The rise of alternative rock
- MTV at Spring Break
- How MTV Unplugged came about
- R.E.M., U2, Van Halen and Nirvana – MTV stars of the early 90s
- MTV moves away from music videos
- and much, much more
See also: 3 New Pop Culture Books