Mayim Bialik is best known as an actress. Most of us know her now from the Big Bang Theory. Many of us over 40 probably remember her from Blossom and from playing Bette Midler as a child in the movie Beaches. However, Mayim is not just an actress; she does it all. And she is still the most down-to-earth person you could ever meet.
What else has Mayim Bialik done or is doing in addition to acting:
- She has a Ph.D in Neuroscience.
- She is an advocate for getting girls involved in STEM education (something that I care deeply about)
- She speaks and writes about holistic and attachment parenting
- She is religious and speaks about Jewish values and women’s issues in Judaism
- She is a blogger at Kveller (a Jewish twist on parenting)
- She is a Vegan and just published a book
I met Mayim Bialik last night at an event by The Moms, to promote her new book, Mayim’s Vegan Table. (The event was at a Vegan restaurant named Blossom on Carmine) .Mayim’s book is a cookbook, but much, much more. It gives you all the information you need to know about vegan diets. [Tweet “If you’ve been thinking of trying a vegan lifestyle, Mayim’s Vegan Table is a must read.”]
Included in Mayim’s Vegan Table is:
- Nutritional information about plant-based diets
- Raising kids on plant-based diets and debunking myths and misperceptions
- Vegan essentials
- Tips for easy meal planning and eating out
- Recipes for breakfasts, lunches, dinners, snacks and dessert, including kid-approved meals and comfort foods.
I am not much of a cook myself, but I love the informational part of the book. It is fascinating learning so much about so many different foods.
Mayim spoke to the group about the book, and everything else, including her busy life as an actress and parent. Watch this short video:
I had the chance to talk with Mayim alone for a few minutes. She couldn’t have been nicer (and it was a real nice, not a celebrity, I have to be nice type of thing). After seeing what a great figure she has, I asked her how she felt about the way she looks on The Big Bang Theory. Mayim replied that she enjoys it. She loves to be comfortable and in those loose layered clothes, she certainly is.
Mayim said that she knew nothing about The Big Bang Theory before she was asked to be on the show. She thought it was a game show. She has become good friends with Jim Parsons (Sheldon) and says he is a wonderful friend and person.
Mayim Bialik is an inspiration for all girls and women. If you work hard, there is nothing that you can’t do. Education is important. And who know, maybe being a Vegans give Mayim the energy to do everything she does. I might have to give Mayim’s Vegan Table a try.
Full Disclosure: I was given a free copy of Mayim’s Vegan Table at the event. Everything above is 100% my own views and opinions.