There is nothing worse for a parent than losing a child. And to watch them suffer through the torturous effects of cancer and the potential cures will change a family’s life forever. Since only 4% of federal cancer research funding goes to pediatric cancer, donations must take up the slack. In 1998, Hyundai created Hyundai Hope On Wheels, a national independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization committed to helping kids fight cancer.
The other day I attended a lunch given by The Moms, Denise Albert and Melissa Musen Gerstein, where we learned all about pediatric cancer and Hyundai Hope On Wheels. Three young pediatric cancer survivors, now Hyundai Ambassadors were there with their mothers. Their moms, along with pediatric oncologists and researchers spoke and answered questions on all aspects of pediatric cancer.
Pediatric Cancer Facts:
I learned that:
- Childhood cancers are completely different from adult cancers
- Childhood cancers are rare
- 3,000 kids this year will die of pediatric cancer
- There are 15,000 diagnoses of pediatric cancer a year, 80% are cured
- It is the leading cause of death by disease in children
- Many survivors live with long-term side effects
- There is nothing you can do to prevent a childhood cancer from occurring
How Does Hyundai Hope On Wheels Help Kids Fight Cancer?
For 2015, the Hope For Wheels program committed $11 million in pediatric cancer research grants through 50 Scholar Hope and Clinical Grants across the country.
“The Hyundai Scholar Award is a $250,000 grant to support translational impact research for senior investigators. The Young Investigator Research Award is a $150,000 grant to support innovative research for young investigators. Both of these grants area peer-reviewed and awarded by our Medical Advisory Committee, a panel of leading pediatric oncologists, for promising research work. Together, both grants are aimed at expanding the knowledge base of the disease and improving the standards of care”.
In 2011 Hyundai Hope On Wheels funded a Pediatric Cancer Research Institute with a 10 million dollar grant, funded annually over five years.
How Can You Help Raise Funds For Pediatric Cancer?
- Buy a Hyundai. For each new vehicle purchased, Hyundai and its dealers make a donation to the cause.
- Sign up for the 5K Run/Walk Series. Funds raised at each event go directly towards local pediatric cancer research. Find one in your area. Or you can go to the site to donate.
- Purchase Hope On Wheels Merchandise.
- Send donations by mail.
- Follow Hope On Wheels and Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest to stay current with news and share information.
Also check out the Max Cure Foundation. This foundation’s mission is to fund research to attempt to find cures for the various forms of childhood cancers and to discover less toxic treatments for the disease in children. This is also a great place to donate to.
Please do whatever you can to help end childhood cancer. No child should ever have to die. And no parent should ever have to outlive their child!