With hundreds of thousands of apps available for each of your mobile devices, how do you possibly choose which to buy. One way is to check the Mobile Apps Showdown held twice a year, at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas every January and at CE Week in NYC every June. I attended the Mobile Apps Showdown today at CE Week and learned about 11 very interesting new apps, and was very happy with the choice of the winner, which I will get to at the end of this post because all of these apps are worthy your consideration.
1. Activebudz – Would you like to find other active people to train or exercise with. The Activebudz app will help you. Create an account and give a little information about your exercise likes and where you live and the app will match you up with other like-minded running buddies, yoga partners, or whatever you are looking for.
2. MyCheck – How often are you at a restaurant and you are done with your meal and want to leave but you have to wait for the waiter to bring your check. And it is always at times when you are really in a rush when your waiter is nowhere to be found. Wouldn’t it be great if your bill could appear on an app on your smartphone for you to review and then you could pay through that same app. No waiting at all. Well that is exactly what the MyCheck app does. It is already very popular in Israel and is currently expanding into the U.S. I can’t wait to be able to use it.
3. VidLasso – VidLasso allows brand managers to easily find video content that has anything to do with their brand. The app is basically crowd sourced video content creation.
4. eMeals – The eMeals iPhone app helps you plan your meals, shop for them and cook them, just like on their website, but now on the go. Choose from a choice of meal plans, get great recipes and receive a detailed grocery list to shop from, all on your iPhone.
5. THX tune-up – This app helps you to properly adjust your TV, projector and speakers, helping you get the most out of your entertainment system. The tune-up is interactive and you can go through it at your own pace.
6. DISH Anywhere – If you have a DISH account for your TV, the DISH Anywhere App will allow you to take your Live TV, DVR and On Demand content with you wherever you go.
7. NQ Family Guardian – Are you worried about what your kids are doing on their mobile phones. NQ Family Guardian wants to bring you peace of mind. This app has a web filter, an app filter, a contact filter, a monitor that reports to you your child’s locations, texts, calls, browsing histories, app downloads and photos. The app also allows you to schedule times when your kids can use their phones.
8. CrowdFlik – This app is brand new and has never been done before. It allows users to create and share custom edits of crowd sourced video. What that means is, say you attend a conference and take video at the opening night party and tag it. Maybe five others that attended that party did the same thing but you didn’t even realize it. Through CrowdFlik, you can find the other videos from the tags and you can edit all the videos together to make one big video of the party.
9. News Republic – A completely customizable news app with news from many sources. The news is updated regularly. The app organizes relevant articles into your own personalized news channels.
10. Mommy Nearest – Comprehensive resource guide for parents in NYC (other cities coming soon). The app uses a community driven rating system to help parents locate kid friendly restaurants, activities, supplies, etc.
11. Tiffen Photo FX Ultra – An amazing photo editor that looks professional that you can use to edit photos directly on an iPad.
Now the voting was extremely unscientific. It was based on the loudness of the applause. However the winner is one that I can’t wait to use. Can you guess what it is? Drumroll please!!!!!
The winner of the Mobile Apps Showdown CE Week NYC 2013 is – MyCheck! For somebody like me who can be very impatient and doesn’t like having to wait, this MyCheck app is a dream come true. I’m looking forward to using this app in local restaurants soon.
See also: 7 Gadget of Note From CE Week 2013
If you enjoyed this, please sign up to receive regular updates: